If I pass options to a script or to something similar like this:

some_sql_stuff.sh $username $password $database

The content of the variables can be viewed with top or ps while the script is running. If I don't remember completely wrong from the bad old days the text that was displayed was actually the variablename and not its content.
Or do I have to do some tricks to hide the text that I don't remeber?

I do know that the proper solution would be not to pass the options at all but some pieces of software insists on having the credentials passed as strings to stdin.