On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 04:01:57PM -0700, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have pf running on my firewall box and I'm experiencing some strange
> behaviour. After several hours (this may even be 24 hours) of
> functioning normally, pf seems to reload its default rules which means
> that from that point on all traffic is blocked. A simple "pfctl -f
> /etc/pf.conf" fixes the problem but it is very annoying.

There's nothing in OpenBSD or pf that reloads any configurations
"automagically".

> I don't see anything relevant in /var/log/pflog or /var/log/messages
> but I'm not sure what I am looking for so I may have missed something.
>
> Do you have any idea why this is happening? Do you have any tips for
> debugging this? I'm running a stock OpenBSD 4.4.

You could start by showing us "pfctl -sr" before and after this supposedly
takes place.  And "uptime" to prove it hasn't been rebooted.  And "grep
pf /etc/rc.conf.local" so we can see how you're starting it.

In other words, *useful information*.

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting