2009/3/18 Michiel van Baak <mich...@vanbaak.info>:

> I'm running OpenBSD 4.4 and -current under KVM here at home.
> I wont run it in production tho. Real hardware is much more stable.

I agree.  I use VMware Workstation at home/work and ESX3 at work.  I
had a lot of distrust initially (2004), but over a few years I had
developed confidence that it could be reliable for test systems and
servers where I was being forced to use VM's.

However I have seen performance quirks with ESX3.5 and when I patched
my 6.5 Workstation to 6.5.1, OpenBSD -stable gets ddb> when trying to
build release.

Now my paranoia is back and I think it was healthy paranoia all along.

Plus, besides the reduced stability, there is all the research that
has proven that this new complex software layer has introduced a whole
new realm for attack.  Anyone just needs to take a look through the
descriptions of VMware's patches.  Descriptions which state that
exploitation of x vulnerability can cause arbitrary code execution
outside of the rooted guest and into other guests and even the host.