On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Jan Klemkow <web2...@wemelug.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem to select right graphic cards for my OpenBSD systems.
> At the first machine I want to use 2 screens in dualhead mode.
> At the second machine I need a graphic card with 3D-acceleration.
>
> I have no idea where i could find information which card or chipset support
> this features.

There is no reliable list of supported cards, because things changes
too fast and the marketing stuff that put random names on boxes make
the maintaince of such a list an almost impossible task.

> Are there a list of graphic-chips where i could see which chipsets support
> the DRI/DRM-feature under OpenBSD?

DRI/DRM on OpenBSD works on recent intel chips (i855 and up) and on
older ATI chips (r200/r300).

> Did the support depends in the xorg-driver or at the OpenBSD kernel
> implementation of DRI?

It depends on 3 things:
- support of it in Mesa
- support for it in the xorg driver
- support of it in the drm module in the kernel.

For the first 2 points it's relatively OS neutral (there aren't too
many OS dependant stuff there and its relatively easy to track
upstreams releases). For the in-kernel driver  there is a lot more
work involved. Thanks to Owain OpenBSD has done a lot of progress in
this area, but there are still chipsets that are not supported here
because the kernel driver almost need a full rewrite to be adapted
from Linux to the OpenBSD kernel.

And also in Xorg and Mesa the only active developpement that is done
is on Intel and ATI chips,.
Other chips (VIA, and nVidia --nouveau--) are beeing worked on too,
but a much slower rate mainly because of the lack of documentation.
--
Matthieu Herrb