On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 06:00:24PM -0400, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
> I have an intel device which seems to work pretty well if I use the
> VBLANK mode trick with glxgears, but it plays large videos terribly. I
> am wondering why. I noticed that overlay does not seem to be configured
> when I ran xvinfo. Is there some reason for this? Is this normal for my
> chipset? Did I misconfigure something?

>From here[1]:

    The 2D Video Overlay Adaptor for Xvideo isn't available anymore.
    (Xvideo or xv is the xorg way of displaying vidoes and do fast
    scaling (to fullscreen output and stuff)) However the textured video
    adaptor for Xv is still available BUT it's broken.  Since nobody
    cared about this before (because there was the better Video Overlay
    available) the textured video causes a effect called Tearing (or
    horizontal flicker) ...

[1] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_GMA_X4500HD