I've seen similar problems...not with relayd, but it still may apply.  I had
a server that was behind a Linksys router on a DSL connection, being
accessed by a remote user .  The window size (iirc) at the remote user was
lower then usual, and the DSL provider was blocking the ICMP messages to
alter the window size.  We had to lower a setting in Windows at the server
side to "fix" this.

Something similar could be happening here....when going through relayd, it
could be sending packets that are too large, and something is getting
dropped.  A packet capture at both ends could help reveal this.

Just an idea.
--Brian

--
Brian McCann

"I don't have to take this abuse from you -- I've got hundreds of
people waiting to abuse me."
               -- Bill Murray, "Ghostbusters"