Matthew Weigel <unique <at> idempot.net> writes:

> Huh?  I'm talking about the CMS itself authenticating to the SMTP server,
> and giving each application a single set of credentials.

chroot is the name, and isolation is the game.

> This should be set in
> the CMS's config files, much like database credentials.

Again, I didn't write or install them.

> Then I configure that board's software to
> connect to my
> SMTP server to send mail, and it has to authenticate as "board <at>
idempot.net" to
> send any mail.  Now, if my server starts sending out spam, I can check the
> logs and see if the spam is coming from the user "board <at> idempot.net"
> to verify
> that the particular board software I'm using is the compromised software
> or not.

And here we come to something! This makes sense, compared to me looking
through users' code: A hook that allows the insertion of a filter either
in php before calling mini_sendmail, or in mini_sendmail itself.
postfix is the wrong answer, because the default sender from chrooted
mini_sendmail would be 'root', and postfix needs to accept mail from root.
So that filter would do something like
deny all
allow cms_legal
allow cms_department
allow cms_conference

In case anybody had some snippets, I'd be grateful to receive those.

Thanks,

Uwe