What about the Intel Atom, there is a version targeted for kind of
embedded systems.
Think its called z5xx or something.

Its a x86, so i suppose its well supported?

i'm buying 1 soonish, board, with no fan, 2GB ram , and a case.
Adding a semi old harddisk 2.5" from my own drawers.
Total is about 200 Euros.
Or is it to fast for you ? :)
I think it use about 30 W because of a chipset that uses quite a lot of power.
Something about a chip set that uses much more power than the cpu  (about 22 W)
But there is a chipset with lower wattage, but you have too look for it.

Check out this wikipedia article, see "power requirements"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverthorne_(CPU)
And then there is offcourse the core duo bugs?, to think about, isnt there?

 mic