On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:52:23PM -0400, Nick Holland wrote:
[...]
> a PIII-class system with an i810 chipset will probably come in below 30W
> when idle.  (Other chipsets may, too...but I put the Wattmeter on a 500MHz
> PIII with an i810 chipset, with both a real disk and a flash disk, and it
> came in at under 30W when CPU was idle).

That is consistent with my findings - the dual PIII/550 on an Intel
L440GX server board I use as home server clocks in at about 50W idle
with two HDs. Even the HP Kayak XU800 (dual PIII/866) I have only uses some 60W
idle, but peaks much higher than the Intel. So, PIIIs can still go a
long way, but I would not vouch for them matching a suitable laptop
set-up.

[...]
> Get a wattmeter.  Great investment...

True, that. :-)