Good evening,

Thanks for your answer, my comments within.

Regards,

Jean-Frangois

Nick Holland a icrit :
> Jean-Francois wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> My question is in two parts.
>>
>> First considering the default install, assuming that one box should be
>> only used for exapample as a firewall, how good is the security level ?
>
> what kind of rating system are you looking for?

I intend to use the box as a simple firewall so I do not intend to have
possible break into. The simple task is NAT rule

> My answer is, "better than anything else", but even that would require
> massive amounts of qualifications.  Compared to a machine that is off?
> (what if the machine has Wake On LAN active, and someone manages to
> throw the right magic packet at it to wake it up to an insecure config?)

No wake on lan activated.

> Compared to a machine which can't run an IP-aware OS?  (but then, what
> use is it in this discussion?).

I don't understand.

>> I mean I know there are only 2 remote holes in 10 years, but my question
>> is do we have any experience about the level of security such as studies
>> that demonstrated the failure to break into the default system for
>> example ? or any other experience in regards with that ?
>
> and these would relate to you..how?
> Those kinds of "studies" get people various advanced degrees, but don't
> tend to relate to the real world any better than the seekers of those
> degrees.

Sorry I don't understand. I have just simple questions.

>> On the other side, now if we assume that one box should be used to host
>> a website, there are ways that the code such as php + mysql will be
>> breakable into. My question is that considering the chroot, can we
>> consider that the supposed hacker can never evade from the chroot by any
>> mean, even after he will be able to upload and execute files directly on
>> the web server ?
>
> that would be a foolish assumption, even if a "known way" doesn't exist.
> Using OpenBSD does not excuse you from good design practices, including
> minimizing the amount of data exposed should there be a security breach.
> For example: if you were building an order processing system, you would
> probably want to "unload" user data from the web-exposed machines ASAP,
> rather than letting it accumulate, so if there is a breach on this
> machine, only an hour's or a day's worth of users have had their data
> potentially compromised, rather than every customer of the last five
> years.  Of course, the unloading process has to not introduce additional
> exposures.  Get too fancy, you can create bigger problems than you
> solve.

Thanks for this clarification, agree, however the question is rather 'if
the web server is compromized, is the OS safe due to chroot' ? By OS I
mean the configuation files, etc ...

> Note well that executing files directly on the webserver is ONLY ONE
> risk.  Many others exist.

Ok, would you please give me some sources of informations so I can learn
more about this.

> For example, administrators who refuses to do basic research, but
> rather resorts to posting basic questions on public mail lists rather
> than reading documentation or hiring a qualified administrator opens
> themselves to "social engineering" exploits which no OS can protect
> them from.

Ok understand.
No no, this is personal server and nothing else ;)