On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 12:26:13AM +0200, Sebastian Rother wrote:
> > If the way you do something take too long.
> > Seems like that is a bug.
> > Most likely in the way you are doing it.
> > A lot of things, you can do them wrong and get away with it for a while.
> > Getting away with doing something wrong is far from proof that you were
> > doing it right.
>
> That's for sure right but I somehow think I know how to use vnconfig.
> And 'course the devs LOVE ME they'd flamed more then they did if would
> have done something wrong.

Your tone of voice in the whole thread suggests you rather like the
flames. You start out with the assumption that you are right, then
continue on a tone that suggests the developers are wrong, don't have a
clue and should fix your problem right now.

Your tone of voice is unacceptable to a person doing you a favour. Your
tone of voice is even not acceptable if you had a million dollar support
contract/SLA; those often get terminated at the earliest convenience for
costumers like you.

> vnconfig -cK 52527 -S saltfile /dev/sd0k /dev/svnd1c
>
> Creates: a svnd, why svnd1 and not 0? 'course of make build and make
> release.

And if your problem was indeed confined to vnconfig, you would stop
there and not build a filesystem on top. Instead, you'd be copying
directly to svnd1c and show it is indeed slow, as opposed to the
copy-operation on top of the filesystem on top of the disklabel on top
of vnconfig. (Yeah, a developer analysing your case despite your
rudeness...)

> disklabel -E svnd1
> -> a a
> -> r
> -> w
> -> q
>
> You can use svnd1c direct but then be sure you get flamed by the
> developers so I choosed to validate it even with a partition (which I
> normaly never do use nor used in the past, it wont matter for the
> result).
>
> newfs /dev/rsvnd1a *wait some time.. for me it was a 220G partition*

FFS2 may help you: man newfs.
Actually, newfs contains many options and you may want to see if
changing some of those helps your case.

> mount -o noatime,softdep /dev/svnd1a /home
> cd /home
>
> Benchmark it like you want.. with whateve rmakes your horny.. dd,
> bonniee++....

If benchmarks are your thing, knock yourself out. But they can't tell
you why things behave a certain way and without understanding the
benchmark, they won't tell you anything.
Smart people would try to find a cause, because it goes a long way to
fixing a problem, instead of bitching about it.

That's the very short summary of why benchmarks are useless, not taking
into account of the usual work-around way of speeding them up.

> I get awefull slow results with:
> i386, AMD64, different {CPUs,Motherboards,RAM,HDDs,NICs},
> oBSD-stable/current

So you changed 8 variables at the same time? Wonderful isolation of
the problem, please wait for a few minutes while each of us rushes to
the shop to buy your specific hardware layouts and further isolates the
problem.

> It's all the same: writing speed about 2-4MB/s

man bonnie++:
       There are two sections to the  program's  operations.  The
       first  is  to  test the IO throughput in a fashion that is
       designed to simulate some types of database  applications.
       The second is to test creation, reading, and deleting many
       small files in a fashion similar to the usage patterns  of
       programs such as Squid or INN.

So it is a bad idea to run a database server, squid or inn on your
svnd. Now explain why this is relevant to your problem?

> I was already asked by people how to encrypt a partition and all I can
> tell them for now is: Sorry that wont make you happy with OpenBSD
> because of a speed issue nobody admits (or you get a 2nd HDD because
> softraid works perfectly).
>
> So why do devs just listen if it wents security critical like the stuff
> with PF..

I think the pf stuff that you're referring to was handled fine. I don't
see what your problem is with that. Nor do I see the relevance to
vnconfig.

> > I reserve the right to be as annoying on this list as you are.
>
> Good argument, and a valid one.
> At least you're no retard who starts to talk in a way making you belief
> you entered a digital gh3tt0 :-D

Even a ghetto is a cozy place compared to your posts. And even my boss
doesn't get to use the tone of voice you used in this thread. So what
are you trying to achieve? Getting on every developers blacklist?
Getting hated by every developer? Or maybe you aim to be ignored
forever..?
If that's your goal, just tell us. Otherwise, being civil will get you
places, especially if you are the one asking the favour.
--
Ariane