On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Tom wrote:

I took my RT2860 card (which likes to lock up the Soekris 5501 fairly
quickly), stuck it in an Openbsd 4.5-current (April 27 snap) and it
performed properly and didn't lock up. Mind you, the machine is amd64
and quite well powered. I transferred a lot of files with scp, got
about 1.2 MB/s on a single transfer which isn't that bad considering
there's about 4-5 access points around or in the building.

The caveat on the ral(4) man page:
   Some PCI ral adapters seem to strictly require a system supporting PCI
    2.2 or greater and will likely not work in systems based on older revi-
    sions of the PCI specification.  Check the board's PCI version before
    purchasing the card.

Does the Soekris net5501-70 support PCI 2.2 or greater? (I couldn't
find anything in the specs or docs of it.)

Is this a PCI or a Mini PCI card? It should not matter, as Mini PCI is PCI 2.2. I don't see more than one PCI bus in my soekris dmesg, I would assume that the normal PCI connector is PCI 2.2 as well.

Kind regards,
  Markus