John Arnold wrote:
They all did 60+ MB/s, meaning I got at least 60% out of the gig links, without resorting to jumbo frames, creative recv/sendspace sysctls or anything, and also I did generate and sink the traffic on the end nodes, so that also "adds" to the load for them.

Given that they costed something like $1000-1500 or so when we bought them, I'd say chances are high you can make more vpns than most of your clients will be able to generate traffic for, if you just buy whatever-doesnt-suck today and have decent gig cards.

OK I have now done some testing myself between two Core2Quad 2.8Ghz machines
with Intel em cards.  I can't get above ~210Mbps with them - would using Xeon
processors likely make much difference?

Anybody had any success in using any hardware acceleration cards eg Broadcom
based ones?

Details please!

What crypto did you choose for your test?
Was the traffic sourced from and destined to those machines, or simply routed through them? How many traffic streams, and of what protocol? (And what were your numbers performing those same tests without IPSec?)
What did systat -w1 vmstat tell you?