On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 11:42 PM, Tony Abernethy <t...@servacorp.com> wrote:
> Ryan Flannery wrote:
>> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Jordi Beltran Creix
>> <jbcreix.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > rm `ls | grep E` would delete that file leaving others alone.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >

>> Just for the list...
>> I had tried that incantation, and others involving grep, and
>> they all failed.
>>
>> Output (I just reproduced the file) from your example is:
>>
>> tarski> wget ftp://rt.fm/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/ports.tar.gz
>> ...(wget output)...
>> tarski>  tar xf ports.tar.gz
>> ...(tar output, lots-o-errors, obviously)...
>>
>> now the file exists with the mucked-up name (see previous post for how
>> ls(1) displays it)
>> and here's what happens when I use the "rm `ls | grep E`" you
>> suggested (and I tried earlier... again with many variations)
>>
>> tarski> rm `ls | grep E`
>> ~,u?} w=R1 T)U7r 5\4gm(_EW]W-sn^[[?1;2c: No such file or directory
>>                   Ec?J9 K%Mx/!...@s S,W7g?5
>> 0,z: No such file or directory             M}OWDt?Yw?rB~[*6t?0h|7<aBz_
>> tarski>
>>

> You might try something like
> mkdir /usr-new
> mv /usr/[a-z0-9A-Z]* /usr-new
> ls -l /usr
>
> AFTER EVERYTHING mentionaable has been moved
> rm -rf /usr
> mv /usr-new /usr

I thought about this... moving everything out of /usr so I could just
delete the mischievous file's parent directory, which would certainly
have worked.

The /usr slice is quite hefty, and the time to move everything to a
new partition would have been a while... I kept trying to find another
way around this (which probably took way longer than it would have to
just copy everything out of /usr to a new partition  :)