Marco Peereboom <slash <at> peereboom.us> writes:

> > Then keep asking!
> > I do have the impression, what I wanted, is what you already had in mind:
> > a broken mirror simply remains dead and broken, and the machine runs
> > happily
> > before and after reboot on the sane drive. Correct?
>
> Correct.  If this isn't the case then I need to see a dmesg before &
> after rebooting and bioctl output before and after reboot.

Alas, it doesn't (run happily ever after).  :(

My next experiment:
Everything healthy, according to bioctl:

# bioctl softraid0
Volume  Status               Size Device
softraid0 0 Online       299671585280 sd3     RAID1
      0 Online       299671585280 0:0.0   noencl <sd1b>
      1 Online       299671585280 0:1.0   noencl <sd2b>
# [pull drive]

[...]

[new situation: NOT putting the drive back, ever - simulating a dead drive,
maybe spindle or head gone]

(System operates fine, read/write without any problem)

[reboot - as mentioned NOT pushing the drive back]

[...]

ugen0 at uhub2 port 1 "American Power Conversion Back-UPS RS 1000 FW:7.g8 .I USB
FW:g8" rev 1.10/1.06 addr 2

softraid0 at root

softraid0: roaming device sd2b -> sd1b

softraid0: not assembling partial disk that used to be volume 0

root on sd0a swap on sd0b dump on sd0b

Automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks.
/dev/rsd0a: file system is clean; not checking
Can't open /dev/rsd3h: Device not configured
CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
/dev/rsd3h: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY.
Can't open /dev/rsd3d: Device not configured
CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
/dev/rsd3d: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY.
Can't open /dev/rsd3f: Device not configured
CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
/dev/rsd3f: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY.
Can't open /dev/rsd3e: Device not configured
CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
/dev/rsd3e: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY.
Can't open /dev/rsd3g: Device not configured
CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
/dev/rsd3g: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY.
Can't open /dev/rsd3i: Device not configured
CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
/dev/rsd3i: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY.
Can't open /dev/rsd3j: Device not configured
CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
/dev/rsd3j: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck_ffs MANUALLY.
THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEMS HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:

        ffs: /dev/rsd3h (/home), ffs: /dev/rsd3d (/tmp), ffs: /dev/rsd3f (/usr),
ffs: /dev/rsd3e (/var), ffs: /dev/rsd3g (/var/mail), ffs: /dev/rsd3i (/var/www),
ffs: /dev/rsd3j (/backup)
Automatic file system check failed; help!

Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:

Here, at least in production environment, and according to the situation of
lacking physical access, I really would want the drive/system to come back. Yes.
To me, lacking of '-R' is no big deal. But what is the whole thing 'softraid'
about, if it doesn't survive a reboot, on a single, before 100% sane, drive?
See, it was sane, and working, and saving my files until reboot. Then, after
reboot (can always happen), all is 'lost'. Not quite, but I simply can't go
there any time of day or night to resolve the problem manually. I'd expect the
softraid, in order to be useful, to reboot on its sane leg.

Uwe