Eric d'Alibut wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:52 PM, Nick
> Holland<n...@holland-consulting.net> wrote:
>
>> If you look early on at the boot messages, you probably see something
>> like:
>> B  disk: fd0 hd0*+ hd1+
>
> Exactly that. (Only, since I am now booting from the install CD, there
> is a 'cd0' appended.)

Booting from a CD?  Not the floppy of the subject: line?

>> So, you would probably want "boot hd1a:/bsd".
>
> No joy:
>
> "booting hd1a:/bsd:  open hd1a:/bsd: Invalid argument
>    failed(22). will try /4.5/i386/bsd.rd"

I know there are some limitations on the cd boot loader that don't
exist on the floppy boot loader, like "ls" doesn't work on the CD
boot loader.  (that was the case, haven't tried in a long time, it
might have got fixed when I wasn't looking).  It is POSSIBLE the
cd boot loader may have difficulty booting from a second hard disk
(I'm pretty sure I've booted the first hard disk from a CDROM before).
Might want to try the boot floppy, and if you have an issue using a
boot floppy, try cdemu45.iso (it emulate a boot floppy, so has the
boot floppy's /boot).

>> Note: IF your SCSI disk is attached to something with no boot ROM (like
>> some Sun cards), or an invalid boot ROM (like a Mac SCSI card in a PC),
>> or a disabled boot ROM, this won't work, as there will be no BIOS
>> support for your system, and thus no way to boot OpenBSD to get
>> OpenBSD's support for your system.
>
> This is some older hardware: the ancient and honorable Adaptec AHA2940
> and an equally old IBM huge scsi drive -- 4.5gig. I believe both
> thiese items are still in good enough shape to be put aboard the next
> Mars rover. IAC, the 2940 dutifully, and rather too excitedly,replies
> at boot: "Bios successfully installed!"

heh.  today, I found a couple brand new (New Old Stock, in auto
restoration terms) 2940UWs, and was excited for a moment about
finding a pair of high end SCSI cards..then realized just how old
they were...

Nick.