Stuart Henderson wrote:
On 2009-06-15, tico <tico-o...@raapid.net> wrote:
Also, if you want to cram two boxes in 1U and still have a decent number of NICs, check out ABMX:
http://www.abmx.com/1u-twin-server

those are supermicro machines.
Correct. I should have specified that.
they also have short-depth boxes with
front i/o you may be able to mount back-to-back; this has certain
advantages over having 2 machines in a single chassis.
I have used quite a few of their short-depth front-IO boxes (some with 4 built-in gigE NICs) in the past for pretty high traffic loads and been quite pleased with them. As for mounting them back-to-back I'm not wild about having the machine in the rear sucking in warm air from the hot aisle while the unit in the front gets the nice cool air ... though I'm sure that it would work just fine, especially if there was only a CF "disk" involved instead of a hard drive.

There used to be a company that packaged either 2 or 4 mini ITX boards with Via chips in them (and 3 Realtek's on-board each) in a 1U form factor that was pretty nice. I was pleased that each unit had its own power supply and separate power switch. I seem to recall that it was configured with two systems' IO facing forward and two towards the rear.

I think this is what I'm talking about:
http://rackmountmart.stores.yahoo.net/newrm1uracsu.html

-tico