> I'm in *no* way convinced that running out of a resource (IPv4
> addresses) would be a good thing. It's been my experience that most
> network engineers agree with me.

Many will agree with you big time! There was a chance to make it right and
address many issues that could have been address with the new standard, but
instead, politics and power struggle got the best of it and they even try to
reintroduce old bugs that was/is in IPv4 and that everyone knows was bad. Looks
like history serve nothing, but just repeated itself. They had a chance to make
it right and easy, but sadly it wasn't the path that was taken.

Even one of my funniest reading was if memory served well a reply from Theo on
source originate routing if I remember well. That was in 2007 I think, or may be
older. I would need to dig it, but there is so many example of well known issue
in IPv4 that everyone try to work around it to make it better and the same issue
were re-introduce in IPv6... Why!?!?!