Hi,

On Mon, 23.03.2009 at 17:22:55 +0100, Joerg Streckfuss <streckf...@dfn-cert.de>
wrote:
> In my opinion preemption on both nodes effects that advskew is set to 240 on
> all
> interfaces and as a consequence there is no host which could advertise faster
> then the other host in the carp group.

that sounds plauible.

> Am I right in thinking that no failover should happen regardless of the number
> of failed carp interfaces?

I guess that you could end up with both nodes in MASTER or SLAVE state,
then, because it's clearly an undefined situation to have advskew at
the same value on several nodes unless you want load balancing using
the carpnodes option. In any case, my guess is that in this situation,
communication becomes quite lossy (both are MASTER), or stops
completely (both are BACKUP).

I don't know whether there's some magic (or protocol definition)
involved in setting the advskew value to 240, but otherwise, one could
expose this value through a sysctl and set individual values on the
various hosts.

--
Kind regards,
--Toni++