On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Theo de Raadt wrote:

It is stuff that isn't on root's path.

Ok-- it turns out I am even more naive than I previously thought. I can see that /usr/libexec is not in root's path on my machine (maybe that's why the 'usr' part is in there?).

But why not? /sbin/init is started by root, and by extension (well, spamd, at least) is also started by root (although it does drop privs), so why not have it in root's path? Is the thinking that daemons in /usr/libexec should always be started explicitly? Would putting it in the path be dangerous, or is there some other reason?

Thanks again-- I'll stop bugging all of you.

Dan