> > *0: A6      0   1   1 -    131 127  63 [          63:     2112516 ]
OpenBSD
> >  1: DA    131 128   1 -    262 254  63 [     2112579:     2112516 ]
<Unknown ID>
> >  2: DA    263   0   1 -   6211 254  63 [     4225095:    95570685 ]
<Unknown ID>
> >  3: DA   6212   0   1 -  12160 254  63 [    99795780:    95570685 ]
<Unknown ID>

> Just follow the instructions in the OpenBSD installer, offered by
> default. When it prompts you 'Do you want to use all of wd0 for OpenBSD',
> just say yes, it will run fdisk -i
>
> It will make partition 3 the default active bootable one

But I *never* want to use the entire disk for OpenBSD.  I have a system for
quick recovery in case of a disaster.  I only use half of the disk.  When I
install a new version of OpenBSD, I use the other half of the disk.  That
way,
if a disaster happens, I can quickly boot, run fdisk -- changing the bootable
partition, and then reboot into my previous system.

In the above fdisk output, partitions 0 and 2 are my current system, while
partitions 1 and 3 are my last and next systems.  After I install a new
system
onto partitions 1 and 3, partitions 0 and 2 will become my last and next
systems.

(Using 2 partitions like this is a holdover from the days when the bootable
partition had to be in the first few cylinders of the drive.)

I'm surprised more people don't do this.  It provides for very quick and easy
recovery in the case of a disaster.  (I've only ever had such a disaster
once;
I've been using OpenBSD since late 1996.)

The other advantage of this system is that it provides an easy means for
seeing how I did things previously.  I can quickly run disklabel, use an
empty slice to point to one of my old slices, and then mount it.  After I'm
done I can run disklabel again and put it back.

So I never want to use the entire disk for OpenBSD.  Therefore, I will need
to remember to escape to a shell and run "fdisk -u" when installing to a
virgin disk.

It would be nice if the OpenBSD install procedure checked for the lack of
a valid MBR, and installed one automatically (after asking); that would
save some people from experiencing the problem I experienced.

Ken Hendrickson