On 7/23/09, Jeremy Chase <jeremych...@gmail.com> wrote:
> David,
>
> You are right. The way I laid out the example it would go back to
> dlink. For the sake
> of argument assume that I have also edited /etc/hostname.iwi0 "dhcp
> nwid attwifi", as that doesn't seem to work either.
>
> But, what you are saying to do is to use ifconfig to setup the network
> connection
> and then dhclient once you can get 'status: active' in ifconfig. The
> problem I have is
> that I can't reliably get ifconfig to get an active status. It does
> work sometimes, but
> for some reason it is not consistent.
>
> Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

iwi does seem to be a bit picky about changing access points without a
reboot (I've though about replacing it on my laptop with another
card), what usually works for me is the following sequence of
commands:

x41:fred ~> sudo ifconfig iwi0 down
x41:fred ~> sudo ifconfig iwi0 nwid myaccesspoint nwkey mykey
x41:fred ~> sudo ifconfig iwi0 scan
x41:fred ~> sudo /sbin/dhclient iwi0

Doing the scan after changing settings but before issuing a dhclient
seems to get iwi into an active state.

HTH

Fred