On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:57:33 -0600
Bob Beck <b...@obtuse.com> wrote:

>       Now it's not to say that *theoretically* systrace can't be a help.
> I'm certain it could if you knew 100% what you were doing and knew the
> inside and outs of the code.  but really that's a job for the
> developers, not the sysadmin running it. If the developer is going to
> do it, well, at that point your best bet is simply to privsep the code
> properly - that has been show to actually work, and doesn't require
> insanity on the part of the system admin to pull wild guesses out of
> his ass about what system calls this should use and why and when and
> what the impact of allowing something is.

Systrace is a development/test tool that has been miscast.  In a
corporate/collective environment this would be a useful testbed
tool to validate programmer claims.  This would NOT be part of
the delivered product but maintained in a lab as part of an
automated sw test cycle.  Do I detect here a problem involved in
GPL-thinking?  It does tend to require that end users be delivered
of reams of Makefiles and other coder desiderata... why not
test tools too? ... and while we're at it ...

Dhu