Andres,

I think the best way to understand it is to draw it out, lets say you have 2
interfaces em0 and em1,

Think of this (rough example of a really simple router setup):

Traffic > em1 > em0 > internet

Like this:
Traffic > (heading into em1) em1 (heading out of em1)  (heading into em0) >
em0 (heading out of em0) > internet

Does that make sense?

Or you can think of it as a room with two doors, entry and exit, you can
lock none/either/both of them if you want.