On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 09:44:43PM +0000, 4625 spoke thusly: > On Sat, 15 Aug
2009, Philip Guenther wrote: > >>> Is it correct string for /etc/fstab?
"/dev/wd2d /altroot ffs xx 0 0"

>> Assuming /dev/wd2d is the correct partition, yes.  (You're looking at
>> the daily(8) manpage, right?)
>
> Sure. Original mount string for '/altroot' there was '/dev/wd2d /altroot
> ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2'.
>
>>> Should "df" display the "/altroot"?
>>
>> Only if you mount it yourself.  It is not normally mounted and
>> therefore does not appear in 'df' output.  (No point in displaying it,
>> what with it being a duplicate of the root filesystem)
>
> Ok. Thanks.
>
> I do not see any messages about backup. How do I check if backup really
> happen?
>
> --
> 4625

It's in daily output mailed to root's account. You got to have access
to root's mail. I've got myself in the wheel group and have root's email
sent to me instead. Here's some pertinent stuff in root's crontab:

ROOTBACKUP=1            # backup / to /altroot
MAILTO="dennyboy"       # forward root's mail to me

In /etc/mail/aliases, my name is added next to root:

root: dennyboy

In daily output to root, the section of the message pertaining to
the backup should look something similar to this:

Backing up root filesystem:
copying /dev/rwd0a to /dev/rwd1a
131098+1 records in
131098+1 records out
1073955328 bytes transferred in 51.680 secs (20780520 bytes/sec)

Naturally the 2nd line is dependent on your disk setup, fstab & so
forth as previously discussed in this thread.

Denny White

- --

() ASCII ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A
iEYEARECAAYFAkqIh3AACgkQy0Ty5RZE55rNAACgn6nB3rWPk5A9Pdl6c3wloMHh
4iMAn26SIqS+5lFH3d3VrBFlDYAxSXQk
=HLK7
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----