While switching from screen to tmux and trying out things,
I noticed that being su'd to another user (who does not
own the terminal I am running in) I cannot start tmux:

$ id
uid=1000(hans) gid=1000(hans) groups=1000(hans), 0(wheel), 5(operator)

$ su - test
Password:

$ id
uid=1001(test) gid=999(test) groups=999(test)

$ tmux
open terminal failed: /dev/ttyp4: Permission denied

$ ls -l `tty`
crw--w----  1 hans  tty    5,   4 Sep  3 14:41 /dev/ttyp4

This happens on both 4.5 (tmux package) and 4.6 (base tmux).
(In fact, screen behaves the same in this respect.)

Obviously, this doesn't apply when I am su root, which
- luckilly - is the most common case of using tmux for me.
But I believe the following is a pretty common situation:
an admin is only allowed to log in remotely via his 'regular'
user account (say, 'joe'). Once he's logged in, he su's to
'admin' (who is in wheel and all that), and does his thing.
Now, what if the 'admin' work calls for tmux? 'admin' cannot
run tmux, because his terminal is owned by joe:tty.

Is this a problem? If so, what would be the most elegant
way of allowing su'd users to run tmux?

        Thanks for your time

                Jan