STeve Andre' wrote:
On Monday 14 September 2009 13:39:46 Tom Smith wrote:
Hi Misc,

Even though this article: http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability was many years
ago and performance in OpenBSD had improved greatly since that time, I
still hear people (mostly younger people) complain about OpenBSD
performance. They cite poor threading, unused cores, no bigmem support,
etc. Yet, when asked outright to demonstrate their issue, no one can show
numbers or reproduce a performance issue. How do others defend OpenBSD in
these conversations? I normally cite the things I admire most about
OpenBSD:

1. Simplicty - (IMO, this is by far its greatest attribute... simple is
secure)
2. OpenSSH
3. pf, carp, OpenBGPD
4. built-in security
5. ports collection

But, I'd like to have hard technicaly data to demonstrate that while Linux
and FreeBSD may scale to a gazillion CPUs and PetaBytes of Memory that
OpenBSD makes a fine firewall or desktop or mail server, etc and point out
that the old article so many people cite is indeed *old*.

Thanks for any suggestions. I hate seeing such a fine OS so easily
dismissed by folks (many of whom) have never even tried it!

Attempting to prove the worth of OpenBSD to folks who are not able to
figure things out for themsevles is much like trying to teach butterflies Calculus.

It doesn't work and wastes your time.

--STeve Andre'

Ditto.

Furthermore, OpenBSD is not a religion (not for me, at least). The only things OpenBSD *itself* needs is code and donations, not more devotees unless I'm severely mistaken.

If someone wants to use inferior tools to for a given project's requirements I'm more than happy to let them do so (unless they're paying me for consulting).

Cheers,
Tico