On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Doug Milam <doug_mi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry I cannot reproduce the output here,

You should. Capturing startx output is easy:

startx > startlx.log 2>&1

and then the output is there...

but when I "startx" as a non-root user on my 4.5/amd64/bsd.mp box (not
-stable, but the stock install), several errors are displayed (in
paraphrase):

> 1. "X is already running on the console" -- though I have just logged in
after a reboot.

This may be the case if for some reason X crashed so badly that it
couln't clean up its lock files. Before trying the above command,
remove /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 and /tmp/.X0-lock if any of those files
exists.

That will allow you to see the reason why X crashed the 1st time.

> 2. "Can't create /tmp/<some-file>" -- /tmp is mounted as mfs under swap,
like so:
>       swap /tmp mfs rw,nodev,nosuid,-s=153600 0 0

The suggestion that the permissions on /tmp are not 1777 made by Bob
may be correct.

> There are others I cannot even remember in paraphrase, unfortunaly

Unfortunatly this is a very bad attitude. If you expect peope to make
some effort to diagnose your problem and help you, please start by
making some efforts too and provide precise facts.

> That said, I have no problem with "startx" as root. My non-root user is
already added to group wheel, if that is notable.

Also what are the permissions on /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg (ls -l output).
If you've installed the X sets manually after the initial install, you
may have forgotten the 'p' flag to tar, and thus have lost the setuid
bit on the way.
--
Matthieu Herrb