Hi Nick,
You may notice that I've made this public. Not to get a democratic
election started, just to get the info out to some who may find it
useful even if you don't reckon it's good enough for an FAQ entry.

For years I have been doing lots of installs of OpenBSD (snapshots
mostly) on dual-booting machines (Thinkpads mostly) with XP the other,
hrmmmm, OS.
They need to run both. This is not a perfect world.

Anyway, early on I discovered the FAQ item about HW clock settings et
c. and it worked fine but eventually it began to grate on my nerves. I
was doing a mod to OpenBSD every time and the XP clock just stayed
there. One more thing to forget when doing a new install.

So I sussed out the fact that I can mod XP once and it will work on UTC
HW clock and then there is nothing to forget for my favourite OS. I'm
sure there are others out there who know but I never saw the method
discussed in the OpenBSD context.

So here is a file I call UTChwClock.reg - contents are:
Windows Registry Editor Versio
5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation
]
"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

NOTE: There are only 3 lines in the  DOS format text file. The second
line above is split and must be rejoined in your copy.

It makes a new registry entry or modifies an existing one. I expect
anybody using it to take the usual precautions when modifying XP
registry settings. Don't ask me for my recommendations - ask a windows
expert.

If you do it incorrectly just remember that I warned you that it is
delicate surgery and I'm not in control of your machine or actions.

Now, after all the caveats (CYA paper), beginners will need to know
that one just needs to execute that file (e.g. put it on desktop and
doubleclick will do) to make the change.

Then resync the windows clock or do the BIOS change.

Et voila! No more settings change in OpenBSD.
Users who like it should show their gratitude by donating to OpenBSD
please.

R/

*** NOTE *** Please DO NOT CC me. I <am> subscribed to the list.
Mail to the sender address that does not originate at the list server is
tarpitted. The reply-to: address is provided for those who feel compelled to
reply off list. Thankyou.

Rod/
---
This life is not the real thing.
It is not even in Beta.
If it was, then OpenBSD would already have a man page for it.