On Tuesday 27 October 2009 14:12:56 Brad Tilley wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Jordi Espasa Clofent
> <jordi.esp...@opengea.org> wrote:
> > $ dd if=/deb/zero of=<disk_to_delete>
> >
> > ?Do you think is it safe enough? I mean ?is it enough against the common
> > recovery low-level data tools?
>
> There is no evidence of over-written data *ever* being recovered.
> There is some theory in research papers that suggests it may be
> possible. There may be aliens and bigfoot and the NSA may be able to
> recover over-written data if you are of interest to them. OK, back to
> reality... the only suggestion I would make is to use arandom rather
> than urandom. You can cron that same command except output to a file
> rather than to the device to periodically overwrite the unallocated
> sectors. I do that. It kills a lot of the forensics tools that have
> the ability to recover deleted files, etc.
>
> Something like this on each partition:
>
> file=$$.random
> dd if=/dev/arandom of=$file
> sync
> rm -f $file
> sync
>
> Brad

Saying that data has never been recovered is not true.  I personally
was involved with a disk disaster on a 10M RLL disk back in 1985 or
so, and there was some--not all, but some--data recovered after being
overwriten.

Today's disks are far different.  No, I don't think you can scoop up
data en mass on a 500G disk.  Wether multiple overwrites provides more
security is a matter of debate.  The real danger today are sectors
that got mapped out which are bad, but could contain interesting or
embaressing data; 512 bytes could hold a lot of stuff, like passwords.

If you aren't using the disk for really sensitive data, erase it and
be done with it.  If its sensitive, have some fun by taking it apart
(you can recycle the aluminium) and do something creative with the
platters.  I think Theo once took a blowtorch to some?  That might
provide entertainmant.

--STeve Andre'