Vadim Zhukov wrote:
> BTW, does anyone know if any other (X?) programs require '2', and in
> which cases? mplayer?

No, it's related to physical memory access (..drivers) can access, if
the X server starts then then the same programs will start.. X is the
only thing that ever directly opens /dev/xf86.

I use machdep.allowaperture=1 with nv(4) cards, but I notice visual
corruption with r128(4).. but it's possible that I missed some
xorg.conf setting.

Matthieu Herrb wrote:
>see xf86(4). And yes the xf86-video-intel driver doesn't need the
> int10 emulation anymore so in this case '1' is enough to get it working
>
> '2' is needed by X.Org drivers that rely on the int10 emulation to
> get things setup through the bios of the card.

I know this is unrelated, Matthieu.. but are you and Owain working on
getting DRI/DRM working on other supported architectures? and fixing
the other drivers (..ragedrm/mgadrm/machdrm/etc have been broken since
4.5).

-Bryan.