> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 05:50:57PM -0600, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > > OpenBSD 4.5+ works if "mpbios" is disabled, more info here:
> > > http://scie.nti.st/2009/10/4/running-openbsd-4-5-in-kvm-on-ubuntu-linux-9-04
> >
> > OpenBSD 4.5 works on 99.9% of PCs out there with mpbios enabled,
> > so KVM must have a really stupid bug.
>

> Something about the mpbios implementation on OpenBSD does not seem

Wait.  We don't implement MPBIOS.

It is a table provided by a machine.

That machine is KVM.

On all real machines machine, we don't crash.

Get it?

> right as disabling with 'bsd -c' does not have the same result as
> building a kernel with mpbios0 disabled in the config.  That and
> your 99.9% comment lead me to believe there is a bug in OpenBSD.
> Given
> 1) Per mpbios.c ACPI and a useable MPBIOS appear to be mutually exclusive

That would be false.

> 2) New PCs are shipping with ACPI instead of APM

What is your point?

> 3) GENERIC with mpbios enabled breaks on 0.1% of PCs.

No, that is not true.  The result we get with KVM does not happen
on *any real machine*.

> I'm at a bit of a loss as to why mpbios is still enabled in GENERIC.

To make you cry, obviously.  There couldn't be *any other explanation*
could there?

> My memory of the brief discussion on the KVM mailing list was that
> KVM/QEMU emulation of one of the instructions executed by going through
> the mpbios code was mishandled.  If you'd like me to find the relevant
> thread and forward it on to the mpbios maintainer, I'll gladly do so.

MPBIOS is a table given by the hardware.  KVM is trying to act as if
it is "hardware", but compared to even QEMU, it sucks.

> Now to pragmatic considerations.
> I understand and appreciate your mistrust of running OpenBSD under
> a virtual machine emulator.
> But there are folks like me that find it useful to be able to
> hold a dog and pony show for a network and cluster design on a
> laptop rather than an anvil case of laptops, switches, and routers.

That is not what is going on here.