On 03/11/2009, at 12:24 PM, Erin O'Meara wrote:

I have Installed an OpenBSD 4.6 Server with Samba + Active Directory + Cups.

The OpenBSD Server is a Member Server in the Active Directory and Everything
is working great.

I have read about automatic ID mapping using Winbind. I realize that OpenBSD
does not have Windbind, is there a way to have the Samba server
automatically create or map local accounts so I don't have to create user on
the OpenBSD server for every Active Directory User.

I have search with no luck, can anyone point me in the right direction. I
feel the answer is right in front of me but I'm missing it.

i was looking into this recently.

the solution i came up with was to populate AD users with the rfc2307 attributes, basically assigning them unix user ids, shells, homedirs etc centrally in the directory. i then used ypldap to make the openbsd box aware of the AD users with those attributes.

samba could then do its authentication for users against an AD server, and used the parameters from ypldap to map those users back to the local machine.

if you want to provide shells for AD users, you can use the login_ldap or login_krb5 stuff to handle the auth.

winbind isn't necessary.