Sergio Aguayo wrote:

I have a Sun Cobalt RaQ 550. However that one runs Linux.... but with latest
firmware versions i've been told that it can run NetBSD, but not OpenBSD.

The RaQ 550 like all the other RaQ and cube units, never had a success at OpenBSD. There was a very old may be something going on for the RaQ 2+ , many years ago, but the RaQ3 and up including the 550 run i386 oppose to the previous version that run MIPS and to my knowledge and in the archive there isn't any success for OpenBSD on them. I wish someone would prove me wrong, but as far as I know there isn't been any success on it. Not much interest in it I guess, plus I am not sure anyone have any time for it either.

You can run NetBSD on them and it's pretty stable and good if you want to go that way and the RaQ 550 is dirt cheap on EBay too. You can have one for $20 or less including shipping to your house, in the US anyway.

What I do like for small server that are the same size is the Sun X1 if you can get them with good memory as if you need to add them later, it's not worth it really. I mean price wise anyway, but sure run well, nice and for a long time and just pretty lower in power too. Less the 10 watts if you do it right. A bit noise with the default fan however.

But I wonder these days if you are not better just to built your own with the new very small board available and price wise they have been going down a lots in the last few years too and cpu power and all really do not compare anymore.

Good luck.