On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 12:21 AM, Donald Allen <donaldcal...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I'm running 4.6 stable on 5 systems, 3 of them with multiple
> processors (amd64). On one of the multiprocessor systems,  I just
> noticed (from the output of 'top') that the stable kernel I'd built
> for it was not a multiprocessor kernel.
>
> The documentation on building a stable kernel on
>
> http://openbsd.org/stable.html
>
> says
>
> "To rebuild the default kernel from stable:
>
>    # cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf
>    # /usr/sbin/config GENERIC
>    # cd /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
>    # make clean && make depend && make
>
> Replace i386 with your architecture, e.g. sparc, alpha, etc. "
>
> It says nothing about replacing GENERIC with GENERIC.MP, which I just
> learned was necessary with a bit of detective work.
>
> I'd suggest adding something like "and GENERIC with GENERIC.MP to
> build a multiprocessor kernel" to the last sentence in the
> documentation above.
>
> A similar addition is needed in the "Rebooting with the new kernel"
section.

A private email I received this morning in response to this suggests
that perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I am not suggesting that this
isn't documented *anywhere*. It is. My point is simply that whether
you are building a multiprocessor kernel or not is nearly as
fundamental as the architecture and I think that how to do it ought to
be right up front on the "Following -stable" page. Furthermore, the
section at issue begins by saying "To rebuild the *default* kernel
..." (emphasis mine), which on a multiprocessor machine is GENERIC.MP
after installation. If you follow these kernel-building instructions
literally, you do not get the default kernel on a multiprocessor
system. And the fix is pretty cheap -- a few more words.

/Don Allen