Hi,

On Mon, 23.11.2009 at 10:04:20 -0600, Chris Bennett
<ch...@bennettconstruction.biz> wrote:
> If you are running PostgreSQL, and aren't running as root, you will need
> to use sudo shutdown -r now or /etc/rc.shutdown will hang

??

you mean, if I am not running PostgreSQL as root?

I usually log in as a regular user, then su to root, then do stuff
(really old-fashioned). In the most recent example, PostgreSQL was not
involved. I even turned off several things, so the only big service
running should have been squid.

Anyway, squid is configured to shut down after 30 seconds, so there's
still a gap of several minutes between first issuing the command and
actually shutting down. As I said, this happens irregularly, or at
least, I didn't detect a pattern yet. Most of the time, I can shutdown
or reboot the affected machines without any problems, but sometimes,
they just "hang".

Kind regards,
--Toni++