> Where are the details written up for how pf is bypassed by dhcpd and
> dhclient?
> Would that mean that the machine with dhcpd could still serve dhcp
> requests despite a filter ruleset like this:
>
>       block in all
>       pass out all

Damn right it will.

Where is it written up?  In the manual pages.  I can't believe
we are here in 2009 and people still believe they can get away
with being an idiot because they believe they are above doing
research:

>From the dhclient manual page:

     You must have the Berkeley Packet Filter (BPF) configured in your kernel.
     dhclient requires at least one /dev/bpf* file for each broadcast network
     interface that is attached to your system.  See bpf(4) for more informa-
     tion.

See that last sentence?

>From the bpf manual page:

     The Berkeley Packet Filter provides a raw interface to data link layers
     in a protocol-independent fashion.  All packets on the network, even
     those destined for other hosts, are accessible through this mechanism.

See that last sentence?

"All packets on the network".