I was recently bit by some reliability problems with a late-model Quad
GigE Intel NIC, and I'm looking for a replacement. (Details below if
you're interested in the problems.)

So I'm looking for a gigabit Ethernet NIC that has good OpenBSD
compatibility and model stability. Do you have a favorite? You're
welcome to respond off-list if you like, I'll happily summarize back to
the list. Quad port would be ideal, I'll take dual and settle on
single-port if I have to. PCIe. I need autonegotiation on speed and
duplex, and 802.1q VLAN support. It will be used for an OpenBSD firewall
(currently 4.6), PF, NAT. Current hardware is Dell R200. The built-in
BGE0 and BGE1 seem to work well, this is to add additional Ethernet ports.

By "model stability", I mean I'm seeking a brand that I can have some
assurance will be around for a couple of years, and won't switch
chipsets on the same model number.

Problems with the Intel card:
The most obvious symptom is that some ports will not go to 1000baseT.
You can see someone else describing my symptoms here:
http://www.pubbs.net/openbsd/200911/33252/

I cannot get em1 and em3 to go higher than 100baseTX. If I force it to
1000, I lose connection. HP Procurve 5406ZL switch.

I have also had a few kernel panics that mentioned pf. I'm assuming its
related to the card, but that's a big assumption on my part.

The card doesn't have a lot of identifying marks. On the backplane
metal, it has D61627-003. It was purchased from Dell with the R200s. I
have one pulled out, another is in a running machine. If I can post some
useful info, let me know.

If I'm correct that the NIC is the source of my trouble, then my
priority isn't getting it to work, but replacing it. Happy to do some
tests if desired, though.

If one of the Intel NIC driver developers wants this NIC, let me know
where to ship it.

                                        Ryan