I previously used OpenBSD for this purpose for many years (back in the 3.x days, though). Previously used postfix from ports instead of sendmail. Didn't need a heavy-duty anti-spam solution at the time.

Now I get approx 10k spam per day. Did I mention that I've upgraded my anti-spam requirements since then? (*sigh*)

I've got a dual-Xeon box with two arrays on a 3Ware 7508 card. Disk performance isn't stellar, but it's more than adequate for my purposes. With 4x 2.4GHz cores and 4Gb of RAM, I don't _expect_ to run into any hardware limits unless I do something really stupid.

The big question is: what MTA? sendmail(8) is in base, but I have a particular (historical) dislike of sendmail. (Yes, I know it's gotten a lot better over the years. This is my exaggerated application of the "once burned, twice cautious" principle. I'm just _not_ going to use sendmail.)

I know postfix fairly well, well enough to know how much of a P.I.T.A. integrating SpamAssassin with it is.

I see two new things, though (well, one isn't really new, but I've never used it): spamd(8) and smtpd(8).

The documentation on spamd(8) tells me that it integrates tightly with pf(4), in such a way that it does NOT take over port 25 locally, it merely seems that way to certain outside senders... right? It appears that spamd(8) never proxies a connection onward to localhost:25, because that has already been decided at the pf(4) layer, i.e. spamd by definition never actually processes any mail in any way whatsoever?

The documentation on smtpd(8) tells me that is replaces sendmail(8). Period. The documentation for smtpd(8) does not explain in detail how to configure /etc/mailer.conf for complete replacement of sendmail. (I assume I can figure that out, I can read the source.)

I want to plug SpamAssassin (or some similar tool) into the mail flow for UCE grading and blocking. The sheer volume of spam means that I need something more granular than pass/fail, I also need a confidence rating that I can sort by and I know how to do that with SpamAssassin and procmail.

I have a *ton* of honeypot email addresses that are *guaranteed* to receive *only* spam.

I also have a lot of mail aliases in the old postfix/qmail/afs/cmu "userid<separator>t...@domain" format. (e.g. athompso+open...@athompso.net) I'm willing to deal with those as individual alias entries if I have to, the MTA doesn't have to understand that format.

This is getting long, so to wrap up:
1. I think I should run spamd, but I don't know whether to run it in default or blacklisting mode. 2. I think I should run either smtpd(8) or postfix from ports, but I don't know if one makes more sense than the other. (The IBM license doesn't present any problem for this particular scenario.) 3. I think I'll have to use procmail for at-delivery-time pre-sorting mail into spam folders based on confidence scores from a UCE tool.
4. I think I'll use SpamAssassin to give me spam scores (for use in #3).

I'm not asking to be flamed, I haven't run my own mail server for a couple of years and things have changed a bit since then... but I am hoping I've provided enough detail that someone might be able to spot potential problems before I run into them.

Thank you,
-Adam Thompson
 <athom...@athompso.net>