and just to add to the pyre...

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Claudio Jeker <cje...@diehard.n-r-g.com> wrote:

> Ugh, a programming language where you can't copy paste from xterm to xterm
> without fucking up the program is just way to much pain to work on.

>On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Ted Unangst <ted.unan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> for many people who are a little suspicious of the whole
> whitespace thing, when your first taste of the language is hours spent
> fixing the whitespace, you aren't inclined to use it any more than
> necessary.

Your losses then. Python isn't so much a language of recipes, it's a
language of ideas.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Henning Brauer <lists-open...@bsws.de> wrote:
> * Floor Terra <flo...@gmail.com> [2009-12-19 19:10]:
>>
>> In my experience (mostly python and c), code that has been pasted has
>> a higher bug density.
>>
>> It's worse with Python because of the indentation (tabs vs. spaces),
>> but as a general rule I would say never copy/paste code.
>
> boo hoo.
>
> there are very valid uses of copied code, or extremely similiar code
> (copy & paste and change a few things). we have that many times in the
> tree.

Python is about thinking about what you're doing. It's one of those
languages that forces you to work on a higher level (not that there
aren't lots of places where python is used as a scripting
language--that code tends to come out badly, but that's because it's
written just to get the job done).

Ideal code is abstracted code, what possible use does repeating
yourself in the tree have? I know drivers have to declare a common set
of globals and make some macro calls and various entry-points are
found by sticking to a naming scheme, but that's trivia, hardly enough
to justify "valid uses for copied code". Anytime I find myself wanting
to copy some code it's always meant I've stumbled over an abstraction
I haven't made yet, so what in the world is src/ doing that -requires-
copied code?

-Nick