OK, so (despite running -stable, not -current) smtpd(8) seems to be
working well for me in local testing.  I love the compact configuration
system.  There may come a time when I need more flexibility to handle
corner cases, but until then I'll gladly use an MTA that only needs ~10
lines of config file!

I wish to integrate SpamAssassin before moving my MX records.

Is it correct to say that SpamAssassin can be used as a filter, i.e. it
takes the unchanged message on stdin and emits a changed message on
stdout?

It seems obvious that I can tie smtpd(8) and spamc(1L) together with
procmail(1L); smtpd(8) seems to have no issue whatsoever with using
procmail as its MDA.  I then would configure procmail to invoke
SpamAssassin in the "site-wide" scenario that is reasonably well-
documented.

Is there a better way?  Can I skip procmail?  (Do I want to?  Procmail
also seems to be the only way to have Maildir-format for some users and
mbox-format for others, when using smtpd(8).)  Is there any (useful) way
to invoke spamc(1L) as an MDA?

FYI:  For those of you who are wondering why I'm not just slapping this
together and hoping for the best, i.e. why do I keep whining on -misc
when I already seem to know the answers... as soon as I change the MX
record, this server will be immediately hit with peaks of up to ~
2kmsgs/hr and will sustain constant levels of ~10kmsgs/day with
occasional peaks to ~20kmsgs/day.  Approximately 50 msgs/day (0.5%) of
that is *not* spam.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.
-Adam Thompson