* Iqigo Ortiz de Urbina <tarom...@gmail.com> [2010-01-05 11:24]:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Tomas Bodzar <tomas.bod...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There is much more to do. You can find some ideas eg. here
> > http://www.openbsd.org/papers/tuning-openbsd.ps . It's good idea to
> > follow outputs of systat, vmstat and top for some time to find
> > bottlenecks.
> >

> I recall a message in misc (which I am not able to find on the archives)
> about someone posting here the results of his research on optimizing and
> improving OpenBSD overall performance (fs, network, etc).
>
> Among the links he posted on his comprehensive compilation, he sent
> tuning-openbsd.ps.

I'm one of the two authors of this paper.
ignore it. it is obsolete.

> I remember one reply of a developer stating that some of those tuning
> measures are not needed anymore as OpenBSD has grown quite a bit since that
> time. Which are the recommended -always working- directions, then, to tune a
> system for its particular needs?

there isn't really all that much needed these days, defaults are good.
some very specific situations benefit from some specific things, but
usually, you are wasting time trying to "tune".

> My point is we all have to be careful and not follow guides or try values on
> sysctls blindly (although experimenting is welcome and healthy) as we can
> harm more than benefit we can get. Still, some enviroments will need
> adjustment to push much more traffic than GENERIC can, and this is a really
> hard task to accomplish unless you are a @henning or @claudio :)

heh :)

I really like the 275 -> 420MBit/s change for 4.6 -> current with pf.

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de