On 2010-01-05, Aaron Mason <simplersolut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> With top notch stuff (we're talking HP Procurve/Cisco Catalyst and
> Intel PRO/1000+ cards here) plus tuning for Jumbo frames, you can get
> to the 95MB/sec range.

Things on the computer side (NICs, motherboard, drivers etc) affect
performance much more than switches. Many of the cheaper 'web-managed'
switches have very acceptable performance. I much prefer Procurves
but if the budget isn't there, well-chosen cheaper switches can do
pretty well.

With a quick test with PCIE RTL8111B on a core2 T7200 machine
and PCI-X BCM5704C on an opteron 146 (both 2GHz), using 1500 MTU and
D-Link DGS-1224T and SMC GS16-Smart switches between them, I get
about 540Mb/s with the re(4) transmitting, 920Mb/s with the bge(4)
transmitting.

Conn:   1 Mbps:      537.855 Peak Mbps:      557.250 Avg Mbps:      537.855
Conn:   1 Mbps:      923.241 Peak Mbps:      928.758 Avg Mbps:      923.241

(Last time I tried it, enabling jumbos on the bge actually made
things worse, not better).

I don't know much about the el-cheapo unmanaged switches, I've saved
enough time in tracking down problems through having port error and
traffic stats (via snmp on the dlink) that I don't bother with them
at all any more.