<snip>

It may be an irrelevant coincidence but each
FTP site that this happened with was Microsoft FTP. It never happened (ie
FTP always worked fine) with other server types.

<snip>

I don't know if this matters, but I had some problems recently with
people downloading from external FTP servers and we found it had
something to do with the FTP client and the use of either the client of
external server using passive mode. I can't remember the exact details
but it came down to a the ms-client/server working differently then
expected...this probably won't help anyone but it might