Otto Moerbeek <o...@drijf.net> writes:

>> Here's a probably stupid question: since the kernel can detect the "root
>> on sd0a" why is there still a need for fstab entry for it?
>
> Because you might want to specify mount options, or an alternate root.

In fact, I was wondering because I have installed OpenBSD on an usb
flash drive.

I use softraid and have a script to decrypt the RAID partition and setup
a custom fstab with the correct 'sd?' for decrypted devices, it works
alrigh. But if root is not sd0a, I have to 'boot bsd.rd' and 'ed
/etc/fstab' before. Does anybody doing this and have a better solution?

--
Manuel Giraud