On 19 February 2010 14:32, L. V. Lammert <l...@omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Johan Beisser wrote:

>> What the hell is so hard about:

> If you have to ask what's so hard, it's too hard. The OP was about making
> the process **SIMPLE**, .. not complicated. Man pages are used to learn
> about a command, .. not a way to perform a specific command such as
> "change the replicatio0 schedule to start at 8PM instead of 6PM".

Man pages typically have examples.

'man 5 crontab' gives me a full breakdown of the field and allowed
values, and further down gives a couple of examples of entries with a
full description of what the examples do.

It's called "learning" and you are intentionally being difficult.

>> B While lines in a user crontab have five fixed fields plus a command
>> in the form:
>>
>> B  B  B  B  B  B minute hour day-of-month month day-of-week command
>> B [...]

> Yeah right. That isn't SIMPLE by any definition.

As I said, you're intentionally being difficult. That is really simple.

0  5  *  *   *   /usr/local/bin/backup.sh

Every day at 0500 run /usr/local/bin/backup.sh. How is that difficult
once you see the format?

>> Being a UNIX Systems Admin means knowing your tools, and most
>> importantly your toolkits. Cron is a tool, making it "simpler" for a
>> new admin is doing you both a disservice in the long run.

> The question was about a way to provide a way to change a crontab entry
> for ***NON SYS ADMINS***.

No, the question was about an alternative to editing cron entries for
"basic sys admin types", that's a far cry from "non sys admins".

kmw