On 19 February 2010 16:14, L. V. Lammert <l...@omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010, Kevin Wilcox wrote:

>> On 19 February 2010 14:37, L. V. Lammert <l...@omnitec.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Didn't say they had access to the **MACHINE** THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT FOR
>> > THE NCURSES QUESTION, if you had bothered to read the OP instead of
>> > bitching about what you THOUGHT it meant.

>> if they don't have access to the machine then **why are you looking
>> for alternatives to crontab**?

> Changes to the actual machines will be pushed via ssh, .. but that's way
> too much detail for the level of the question I was asking.

This is the *exact* level of detail that's needed. You don't need an
alternative method of editing crontab, you need to be able to write
cron-compatible files and have those pulled into cron. That's a
*significant* difference.

Rather than reply to your next email via a separate one, I'll include
the responses below:

> No, you are not bothering to comprehend the question - these are *NOT*
> sysadmin types, .. and the procedure must be SIMPLE  - open this nCurses
> application, check a different box, save and exit.

The "question" was about editing a crontab entry. The question you
originally asked was insufficient (and apparently the initial data you
supplied was incorrect). What it should have been was "I have a
machine that I'm going to let some folks look after and I want to let
some non sys-admin, non Unix folks change scheduled times for things
to run in cron but they won't have any access to the machine other
than via scp, is there a GUI that can write cron compatible output
that I can then push to that remote machine?"

For that matter, I find "edit this text file, change the 2 to a 5,
save it" to be simpler and more fool-proof, but difficult versus
simple is relative; recompiling my FreeBSD kernel for PAE support is
simple to me, telling someone how to clear their browser history and
cache in Internet Explorer would be a much more difficult, more time
consuming process.

> Remember, .. KISS rules.

Cron *is* simple. You give it a time, you give it a command, it does its job.

What you are trying to accomplish is completely separate from what you
asked about.

Now that you have provided some *necessary* information (the users
*don't* have access to the machine, their inability to edit cron is
not a skill issue but an access issue, et cetera), you might get a
meaningful answer from anyone you haven't already pissed off by being
difficult, being obstinate, being obdurate, failing to give the full
parameters of what you are trying to accomplish and trying to
back-track on what you said over the course of your own half-dozen or
so emails on the subject.

kmw