On 23/02/2010 20:56, Philip Guenther whispered from the shadows...:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Ted Unangst <ted.unan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Anthony Howe <ach...@snert.com> wrote:
>>> Without the call to setuid, then the daemon will create a core file in /tmp.
>>>
>>> What I would like to know is how to get a core file when the daemon
>>> program uses setuid/seteuid family of functions, which appears to make
>>> it subject to kern.nosuidcoredump? I've tried all 3 possible values
>>
>> Not sure.  I added the 2 setting just for scenarios like this, but it
>> was several years ago.  Looks like it doesn't work.  Maybe it never
>> did. :(
>
> Look Ted, you perhaps should feel guilty about other things, but not
> that: Anthony's test program dumps core in /var/crash/ Just Fine with
> kern.nosuidcoredump=2 and -current, and that code hasn't change in
> quite a while.

But it doesn't do that on my OpenBSD servers (4.0 and 4.3) regardless of
what I set kern.nosuidcoredump. Remember too that my claim is that
without the setuid() function call, it works fine; with the setuid()
call it does not.

Theo posted else where in the thread ...

On 23/02/2010 18:28, Theo de Raadt whispered from the shadows...:
>> 3. The program does not use file system setuid bits, BUT does use the
>> > setuid() et al. system calls to drop privileges from root to some other

> In OpenBSD -- if you change uids, you don't get core dumps.

Which I find a very strange choice, but is at least clear in that any
program calling setuid function family will never drop core regardless
of kern.nosuidcoredump setting.

--
Anthony C Howe            Skype: SirWumpus                  SnertSoft
+33 6 11 89 73 78       Twitter: SirWumpus      BarricadeMX & Milters