On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 01:12:17PM -0500, nixlists wrote:
> >  We're very far from lemmings-linux, aka debian, where very little
> > engineering
> >  actually gets done, and where the whole development process relies on
> > hordes
> >  of lemmings^Wusers going over the cliff to actually get things to work. ;-)
>
> Ok is that sarcasm, or are you for real?

Nah, I don't exist. ;-)

It's half sarcasm, half-truth.   Some of the ways debian does stuff only
works because they have thousands of developers and testers.  We're working
with a much smaller number of developers, so we must have engineering
solutions that work better. Compare debian packages to OpenBSD ports, for
instance, and the number of people working on both teams.

Rough estimate, there is 1 openbsd developer responsible for a few hundreds
packages.

> Would it be ok to say that -current is probably not a good idea on
> production systems, for some people (who for whatever reasons can't do
> what is recommended in the above comment). I am not a C/*nix
> developer, should I really risk running current in production because
> I may not understand which snapshot to run?

If you follow good engineering practices, you can run current.
That means understanding what a production system is. And to have a test
system alongside, and to deploy new shit in production *only* after you've
run adequate tests that the new stuff works for you.

That doesn't require crazy development skills. It *does* require basic
*professional* sys-admin skills.