On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 7:44 PM, J.C. Roberts <list-...@designtools.org> wrote:
> Now getting back to the link/problem posted by Frank which mentions
> firefox, as well as your complaint about the speed of firefox... Yep,
> the final stop on the reality tour is most likely the fact that firefox
> might be *STILL* trying to shut down because the disk write speed sucks
> so bad. This of course means, sync is waiting on it. If you use a
> bloated "Desktop" like kde or gnome, they may also be a contributing
> factor to your shutdown times and for the same reason.

I also experience this issue intermittently on my two 4.6
workstations, both with conventional HDDs.  It either syncs instantly,
or it never completes at all.  I only weigh in because this was never
a problem until 4.6 & Firefox 3.5, and after jcr's points above I am
highly inclined to blame the latter.  Thank you for your suggestions.
I will configure FF to not use a disc cache and report back after
testing.

Cheers,
Anders